Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Insomnia

If I were Jerry Seinfeld I would say "what is the deal with insomnia?" Now I know what insomnia broadly is. Insomnia is the inability to sleep. But before I can understand insomnia I need to know, are insomniacs sleepy? I think the consensus answer I have gotten from asking insomniacs is that they are not sleepy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If insomniacs aren't sleepy, then what is the big problem with this disease? Is there some non-sleepiness-related symptom to this disease? I don't know about anybody else, but when I go too long without sleeping I get terrible backaches. Eventually the backaches and neckaches are what force me to go to bed, more than the sleepiness. Is that what it's like for insomniacs? I feel like I would have heard more about it in that case.

A lot of them tell me too that they really like to sleep. I think that is so weird. They tell me that they like to dream, and when they have insomnia they are being cheated out of their dreams. Are dreams really all that? Sometimes they're nightmares. That's bad. I would guess that the average dream is not much better than the waking life that it's in place of. Certainly not enough to justify medical intervention. The non-dreaming part of sleep is even less worthwhile. It's just unconcious.

Until someone can give me a better objection, I am going to continue to wish to be an insomniac. I lose nine hours a day to sleep. That's a lot of time, and it would take a pretty strong argument against insomnia to get me to willingly give it up.


2 Comments:

Blogger kaylen said...

actually, i do feel sleepy when i'm in an insomnia spurt...

maybe the first night is okay. there is coffee.
but in the end, i get very tired and it's quite miserable...

6:36 PM  
Blogger apk01004 said...

But that's so strange.

For me, at least, being awfully sleepy is like being half-asleep. I become less aware and I start blinking more and more slowly until my eyes are closed and often I can't tell whether I fell asleep or not.

What is it like to be very very sleepy but to have no prospect of falling asleep?

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home