Friday, June 09, 2006

Street Lights

I know this is a time when we should all be concerned with conserving energy. I follow the news and I realize that we can't be using our scarce electricity on just every daydream of mine.

But do we really all think that it is worth the orange glow at night? There are better ways to save electricity. Sulphur lamps give off what is definitely the ugliest color in the universe. It is the color used for hunters jackets, specifically designed to be so ugly that other hunters can't avoid noticing it. I realize that they are the most efficient lamps available. And I realize that city planners *are* trying to acheive the hunter jacket effect -- if people's senses are being constantly assaulted they are less likely to fall asleep at the wheel.

But come on. That is a really ugly color. It is the color of the sky almost half the time. Is that the color we want a full quarter of our visual sensory experience (the up/night quarter) to be?

1 Comments:

Blogger apk01004 said...

Do I?

I guess I do.

Sorry.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home