Monday, July 24, 2006

Gone With the Wind

Hello I am happy to see you today I just read Gone With the Wind and here are my thoughts on the most popular novel ever. I am kind of tired of linking text and we will be doing this bullet point style so hang on!
  • There was too much character development (I mean that in the other sense). This is something that has always bothered me about novels. Do people read them to see characters develop? I think that is about the hundredth best reason to read a book. In real life, characters don't develop. No not at all. They just keep doing the same things they had been doing and if they don't work out they do them anyway. You might find it uplifting to see characters changing their whole persona entirely in a thousand pages but I don't believe it.
  • It is really refreshing to read a book that takes the side of the priveleged class so completely. Scarlett is treated less sympathetically the more she flouts convention. The villains are mostly Yankees or poor whites. Women working out of the home bring disgrace on everyone, and blacks know their place. I challenge you to name one other novel that condemns iconoclasm so thoroughly.
  • I learned that people in the South say "like a duck on a june bug" all the time. And in 1866 people in the South did not know what a sawmill is.
  • Margaret Mitchell is very skilled at writing stupid characters. I was reading reviews of the book and people were saying that Scarlett was very intelligent. I really think people are desperate to make this book subversive somehow. Women are stupid, in the world of Gone With the Wind.
  • I dare you to read The Wind Done Gone. I just dare you and I bet you can't because you're too scared.
Thank you for your time my friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home