Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I Have a Tangential and Petty Point to Make

While we are on the subject of strange name spellings, or at least before we stray too far from it, let's talk about "Carolyn". Lots of important people have been named Caroline. There was Caroline of Ansbach and Caroline of Brunswick. That actually exhausts my memory of important people who have been named Caroline, but I am sure you can think of hundreds more. Of course, nobody before this century was ever named Carolyn.

The point is, nobody at all is named Caroline these days. Well, I can't think of any. Carolyn is an ugly name that I am not sure how to pronounce. It also makes me think that people were trying to spell "Carol-Lynn" but got confused. Which is just as well when you think what an awful name that would be. Honestly, "Y"s are responsible for most of our pronunciation trouble. Why people would want to insert them where they do not belong is past me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home