Sunday, September 10, 2006

How Classy Is Jack Daniel's?

I grew up all this time thinking that Jack Daniel's was what you drank if you were an alcoholic, and not the good kind of alcoholic like the Prince Regent but more like it was Jack Daniel's or nail polish. It's not very expensive, right? I never tried to buy it. I cannot think of a less expensive kind of whiskey off hand.

Sure, they have "Gentleman Jack" super-premium whiskey. I'm not sure anyone drinks it. Did you know that Budweiser has a super-premium variety? It's actually also not good. I'm going to have to take someone's word that Jack Daniel's (either regular or hi-test) is worth drinking. Whiskey really does taste like nail polish to me. Did you know it has large amounts of methanol in it, for flavor?

So if Jack Daniel's is so classless, why does every restaurant in the world advertise that it has a chocolate cake with Jack Daniel's? Or some other kind of Jack Daniel's thing. You can see some of them here. It can't just be that Jack Daniel's is the cheapest liquor and you can't tell one kind of Tennessee whiskey from another in cake. These are the same recipes that always tell you to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil for Everything. Even mayonnaise.

Maybe the idea is that Jack Daniel's is a name people recognize. Of course so is Coors and you don't see many Coors recipes. (Although you do see some now that I come to look and no I am not going to point them out because I don't want to encouarge that sort of thing.) Conclusion? People in restaurants don't know what they're doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home