Friday, December 01, 2006

Let a Thousand Flowers Bloom

Russia may be worse off in almost every way now that the Soviet Union is gone, but does anyone here think this cartoon (I would describe it for you, but there's no describing) would have gotten made under the rigorous eye of the censors?

Well, probably. Russia may be full of alcoholic gangsters, but they will always have the cartoons. And unless this is an allegory for some kind of official foible, I can't imagine that it would offend anybody in power. If it makes you feel better though, you can imagine this cartoon was made under the thumb of officialdom. Like all cultural artifacts, it's way more significant if you pretend it was made in a communist spirit.

So here it is. If you watch one YouTube video this year, and heaven knows I'm trying to keep my own number down, make it this one. Bear in mind that it has low sound quality, picture quality and narrative quality. But I do like those bugs.

4 Comments:

Blogger kaylen said...

hee hee. would you say that the bloom is off the rose for russia?i would.

10:45 PM  
Blogger apk01004 said...

It's sad.

These are the cartoons that Russian artists kept bottled up after almost 70 years of oppression?

If I were a Russian cartoonist, I would get in some jabs at Brezhnev, the ones that I'd been sitting on for 20 years. But I guess this weird dinosaur thing cartoon couldn't wait any longer.

12:26 AM  
Blogger apk01004 said...

Fun Word Verification Word Watch:

Pedsarla

12:26 AM  
Blogger kaylen said...

sarla on one foot!

kqbexlur
(is this a new word for someone living in quebec?)

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home