Sunday, May 28, 2006

Serious Bar Problem

If you are wondering how I could have neglected such a serious complaint for so long I can only say that there are so many little complaints sloshing around in my mind that the really big ones never surface but just sog up down there.

What I am talking about,of course, is the volume in bars. The appeal of bars is obvious to everyone and is the same as coffee shops viz. they do the same thing you can do cheaper at home but they have better decorating sense. Also they carry dodgy liquors like Chartreuse in case you want to try it but you are afraid to spend 40 dollars on a bottle. Please note that they don't actually do that last one, but don't let me get sidetracked into little buoyant complaints.

Sometimes I like music and if it is a piece I really like, sometimes I might like to hear it at painful volumes. But this is when I am alone. When I am in a bar I am not alone (I am not a loser). When I am not alone I usually like to be able to hear other people talk, and always like to be able to hear myself talk. In short, there is no such thing as a bar where this is possible. I can hear people in a bar as well as if I had earplugs in my ears and also the earplugs were really loud.

I recognize that a lot of this is my fault. I have very bad hearing in a crowd. I could never be a bartender for that reason if nothing else. Also I do not like music as much as most people, and never like the music they play in bars.

But that does not explain why everyone I talk to says the music in bars is too loud. That does not explain why there are no bars in the city that have music less than medium-loud. Is there no market in a city of millions for a bar that doesn't play music at all? If there is, nobody has told me about it, which I suppose would make sense considering.

I would go to a bar like that. Think how nice that would be. Extra points if the patrons are encouraged to keep their voices down. Double bonus points if they served margaritas. Wouldn't you go to a bar like that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home