Friday, July 14, 2006

Rhubarb

Of all the stem-based foods, rhubarb is my favorite. Things I like about rhubarb:
  • It is poisonous in large quantites. This is always a plus for food, including almonds, pufferfish and fava beans.
  • I like the name. "Rh-" is one of the best ways to begin a word. Along with "rhotive" and "rhesus", it's a good start.
  • I like that it comes from Siberia. This is right up there with carrots being from Afghanistan.
  • I just realized that I have never ever seen rhubarb for sale. You might think this was because A) it grows everywhere with no care, and B) there isn't much demand for it, so C) it's not profitable to sell, but you could say the same thing about zucchinis. They're everywhere.
  • It is impossibly sour. Food that is too strongly flavored to eat plain? Thumbs up.
  • What ever happened to junk wine? Why do people no longer make wine out of strawberries or dandelions or rhubarb? Is it always less good than grape wine? People drink apple wine. Am I seriously to believe that those are the only two wine-quality fruits? I don't believe it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home