Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Wendell Willkie Cannot Catch a Break

Oh, North Korea. I warned you that underground nuclear tests were a mug's game. I told you that bad things would happen if you exploded a nuclear bomb underground, but you went and did it anyway. Conduct a secret test and it must follow, as the night the day, that nobody believes you.

If you haven't been following the news, apparently seismic data has led us to conclude that North Korea's bomb was only 550 tons, too small to be a simple nuclear weapon. At the same time, this is rather big to be a conventional weapon. If I had 55o tons of TNT, I wouldn't waste it on a fake test that most people wouldn't believe. (I would make a video and put it up on YouTube, like those Mentos & Coke guys. I would be an Internet Sensation.) I guess now we're waiting for atmospheric analysis, waiting to see if rare isotopes appear above Korea. That will take a while, and also be boring.

So North Korea, until this gets resolved one way or another, I'm going to have to rescind my dedication. You made yourself look bad, and you made me look bad, but you made Wendell Willkie look bad too. And I cannot forgive that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home