Monday, November 13, 2006

Shaving

Oh boy, another quizzical either-I'm-doing-something-wrong-or-you-are blog. I'm pretty familiar with the concept of shaving. You scrape a razor across your face, and the hairs that stick out catch on the razor blade and are destroyed. So just briefly, a couple of shaving questions.

Number one, what's shaving cream for? Does it make the hairs more prominent and hence more shaveable? I would think it would make them less prominent, as it raised the level of the hairless skin to the level of the hairy skin, and made everything smooth. If it's to soften the hair and make it easier to cut, well I've never noticed that hair did anything but break when you ran a razor over it, soapy or not. Sometimes I shave my face wet, and sometimes I shave it wet and soapy. Usually I shave it dry, and that's when I'm happiest. Nobody likes having a wet face.

Second, who cuts himself shaving? It's something that seems to happen a lot in popular culture. And then you put little bits of paper towel over the bloody spots, and go on with your day. I have never ever cut myself shaving. I've shaved with really sharp razors, and with razors that were 2 years old. The 2-year old razors didn't shave very well, but they didn't cut my face either. I know Henry David Thoreau's brother died from a shaving accident, but he was shaving with a straight razor. Straight razors can get going any which way and slice you from all angles. Everyone today shaves with a safety razor (except the people who shave with electric razors, but even they're not dumb enough to cut themselves, right?) Unless you jerk the razor sideways, how can you cut yourself with it? I hope nobody's face is so craggy that dragging a razor across it causes the blade to slice into the crags. I know mine isn't.

Finally, speaking of cutting yourself shaving, I have a Hygeine Tip for you. If you have a pimple that is painful, but too unformed to do anything with, just shave it off. Take the top of the pimple right off with a razor blade. This is likely to lead to skin infections, scarring, and a huge scab, but if it feels so good, how can it be wrong?

3 Comments:

Blogger kaylen said...

i believe the point of shaving lotions isn't to make the hair more susceptible to being shaved off-- it's to lubricate the skin and prevent irritation.

12:52 PM  
Blogger apk01004 said...

That doesn't happen either. I always feel like a million dollars after being shaved. Lubricate the skin indeed. I am beginning to wonder what kind of skin people have. Come to think of it, I've never felt another man's face.

7:19 PM  
Blogger kaylen said...

i know if i shave even my legs without super sensitive skin formula lotion, i am in pain and red from the waist down for weeks.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home