Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Following Blog Post May not Represent the Opinions of apk01004.blogspot.com

You've all seen it: "The following program... may not represent the opinions... XYZ channel."

What are those disclaimers for? First of all, nobody cares. If there was anybody who ever read a disclaimer, and was interested in it, I never met him. To normal people, those pre-show messages might as well be garbled in transmission. There is just nobody who cares, not at all, that Rush Limbaugh might say something which the EIB network disagrees with. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Of the already small group of people likely to form an opinion about a TV channel, few will be deterred by a hastily worded message. They are hard to discourage, those opinion-havers. I should know.

And even if you read and understand the warning, is it going to convince you? If you are offended by a late night infomercial, really offended, I don't see how this lame abdication of responsibility is going to help. "He said it, not me," is not an excuse in real life. People (lame-os) can and do boycott networks for whatever reason. A lamely-worded plea not to won't cut any ice with them. They mostly do it for religious reasons, after all, and you know how religious people are.

...

I'm just playing with you. I know why there's a disclaimer. I know why there's any disclaimer. It's a liability thing. Someone might see something on "Medical secrets they don't want you to know" and... lawsuit. I'm not sure how that would happen exactly; providing the forum for fraudulent claims to be made is still not a crime, but I supppose better safe than sorry. People assume that, well, why not have a warning before your show. It's stupid, of course, that the law should work that way.

Yeah. Dumb disclaimers are dumb. I think I already covered something like this subject before. And I didn't have much to say then anyway. Oh well. Wake me when another celebrity dies.

1 Comments:

Blogger kaylen said...

oh boy. my grandmother has this one story on rotation. she begins by teling us what kind of awkward on-the-toilet situation she was in when a 'girls gone wild' video was advertised on tv. she thought it was a show and called the network and gave them a talking to. etc.

some people (old people) really cannot tel the difference between a "show" and a "commercial" to begin with.

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home