Saturday, December 23, 2006

Ice in Beer

A mystery! Americans like to drink cold drinks. They drink coffee and tea and cola with ice in them, and some lost souls even crunch up ice cubes plain, like insane dogs. On an airplane once, I saw the stewardess serenely add ice to someone's glass of orange juice, and I think I've seen people drink milk with ice.

But I have never seen anybody put ice in his beer. If there's one trend that I expect 2007 to bring to light, it's ice in our beer. What could be more American? We like our beer cold and watery, right? And the ice would make it a lot fizzier, as it provided areas for carbon dioxide to precipitate. Unlike wine and liquor, beer is drunk in a big enough glass to accomodate a lot of ice. Dropping one ice cube into a glass of wine would look silly, but filling a highball glass with ice, then pouring the beer over it might look almost decent.

So come on, America. I know you can do it. Ice in beer in '07. It's either that or drinking pure cream, and I know you don't want to do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home