Tuesday, June 17, 2008

By The Time You Are Thirsty, You're Already Dehydrated

I realized this afternoon that I hadn't had anything to drink for about 36 hours. Aren't people supposed to die after 2 days without water? Aren't they supposed to feel thirsty? At no point did I feel thirsty. Is my brain broken?

On a lighter note, please be aware of this page on the health information of water. Questions addressed include:
  • Do we really need vitamins?
  • The fluoride debate -- "The risks outweigh the benefits"
  • Can beverages replace water? -- In which I am told, "you need to drink 8-12 glasses of water for every one glass of soft drinks that you consume."
More immediately relevant to my situation, one of the signs of moderate dehydration is "few or no tears when crying." So in retrospect, it should have been obvious, but perhaps it's just as well that I didn't notice. After all, I'm a beverage man from way back, and I just dig myself in deeper with every glass of Coca-Cola I consume.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home