Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Would a Onesie Fit On My Cat?

Not to be outdone by NPR, our presidential candidates have stores,where you buy overpriced merchandise, just for the privilege of donating money to a political campaign. At the 20-dollar contribution level, you can get a canvas tote. You can't get a John McCain spoken-word album, but at the $45 level you can buy 125 McCain bumper stickers. What could one person want with that many stickers? You gotta think, nothing good. For $200 you get this semaphore pin, spelling out JSM, although the website gives no hint as to its meaning. I'd rather have the sticker swarm:



Perhaps I don't understand modern campaigning, but I think it would be wise for campaigns to subsidize their merchandise, as a form of cheap advertising, rather than trying to gouge it for raw cash. I might wear this lime green McCain polo shirt at market price, but I'm sure not gonna pay 50 simoleons for it.

In the interests of fairness (this blog observes equal-time laws) we turn to Barack Obama. He sells golf balls for 5 dollars apiece, surely the most ephemeral item it is possible to brand. Campaigns would probably sell ice cubes if they thought they could get away with it. Also available, "winter gear," for canvassers in the Patagonia wards.

All this merchandise is suffused with meaning, but the onesies speak volumes:

Both campaigns sell them, and why not? Babies gotta wear clothes, and if politicians didn't try stuff like this, we wouldn't really respect them. It's brilliant: Coo at a child and you're cooing at America. Harvest some of your infant's cuteness for McCain. Heaven knows, he needs it. Even more adorable, both candidates have URLs emblazoned on their clothes. If your baby leads just one person to BarackObama.com, he's done his part for democracy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bzbb said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:31 AM  
Blogger Bzbb said...

According to Wikipedia, in addition to the letters, each signal flag has another meaning, to allow quick signaling of important messages.

J: I am on fire and have dangerous cargo on board: keep well clear of me, or I am leaking dangerous cargo.

S: I am operating astern propulsion

M: My vessel is stopped and making no way through the water

Oh, dear

3:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damon made this blog my homepage. It brings me small amounts of joy every day. I haven't felt the need to comment yet but I would like you to know that I would like to see your cat in a onesie. I think it would fit into about a 9 month old sized onesie.

Also, are there any Chi Chi's still in operation?

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home