Saturday, July 01, 2006

Lightning Awareness Week

I can't believe I missed it. It was last week. I don't even think there were any thunderstorms last week. Maybe they were lying low.

There are two things that annoy me about lightning talk. The first is that "you are more likely to be struck by lightning" construction. I think this appeals to people's stupidity about what lighting actually is. As if it were like a meteor impact, and if you had stood a few steps to the left you wouldn't have gotten struck. It's not like that. Lightning looks for you. (How likely you actually are to be struck by lightning is not important to this construction. Like figures mean anything to people.)

The second thing is this: http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/resources/Ltg%20Safety-Facts.pdf.

Exclamation point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home