Thursday, August 10, 2006

Braiding Hair

Because I know you are interested in my little failures, I will tell you. I can't braid hair. I know how it's supposed to go; the middle bunch goes under (or over) alternate left and right bunches. I just can't seem to make it work. At least not when I braid my own hair.

Unlike some of our nation's greatest hair stylists, I don't have three (let alone four) hands. So the problem is that I have to hold two bunches of hair in one hand, while keeping all the individual hairs in those bunches together. No. The problem is even worse than that, because I have to pass the bunches from one hand to another. How can you pass hair from one hand to another without losing strands? My fingertips aren't sensitive enough to keep a hold of every hair.

It's even worse, because unless I am too stupid to think of a better way, you can only hold one bunch between your left thumb and index finger, and one bunch between your right index finger. The remaining bunch has to go between an index finger and its corresponding middle finger.

So one "stroke" of a hair braiding technique would be this: You start off with bundles of hair between your thumb and index finger in each hand, and a bundle of hair between your middle and index finger in your left hand. Then you pass the hair between your left index finger and thumb to your right index finger and middle finger. Then you pass the hair between your left index finger and middle finger to your right index finger and thumb. Then repeat with left and right reversed.

How is it possible to do that? Whenever I try I end up with a snarl by the fourth stroke. Are there any techniques I am not picking up on? Grease the hair before you start to braid it? So it will stick together? I don't recall seeing people do that. Don't tell me it would work better to braid someone else's hair. The problem here is one of manual dexterity. Not perspective. Maybe there's just something wrong with my hair personally. Maybe I have too much static charge. Maybe not having braidable hair goes along with not being able to grow dreadlocks. Does anybody else have this problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home