Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Dogster.com

I love this website. It's like Friendster? But if you have a dog? You can sign your dog up for it and oh then the dog has its own webpage so delightful.

The best thing about Dogster is that it offers us a chilling glimpse at the future state of the internet. Already about one tenth of the dogs on this site are dead. The text on the website is supposed to be from the point of view of the dogs themselves so cute but when they die you end up with a page of perky exclamation point-heavy text written by a dead dog. In a few more years you are going to have to wade through virtual dog corpses to find the lonely survivors. There ought to be congressional legislation that says, when you die, you're out of the dog club.

But this is the future people. The internet is young, but in 50 years there are going to be so many broken-down pages, at sites just like this one whose owners died years ago but the comment spam lives on. Or maybe the widow of the original owner keeps updating the website and telling the commenters that no her husband is still dead. There are a million more excellent things about Dogster.com but I will leave you to figure them out yourself because I respect your intelligence. There is also catster.com if your tastes run that way but how derivative can you get.

"Hi everyone!!! I am Zeus Yu. I am 10 years old. I am so happy and pls to have my mama (eve n' our family) as my owner. My tumor problem is on my "right axilla-brachial plexus" (its a round cell tumor) called "Malignant Histicocythosis". My whole family is very concern about my health, but I really have the willpower to live as a normal happy son. I am happy to meet anyone on the site who can help my mama with my tumor problems."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home