Monday, March 19, 2007

ASIMO

Lately I've been reading about ASIMO, the robot that raises more questions than it answers. ASIMO was built by Honda engineers, but his purpose is unclear. There is no way they are going to make money off this little guy. If it's to raise awareness of the Honda brand, I don't see why they went to all the effort. Everybody already knows about Honda. Do they expect this to improve the opinion of their cars? I don't think it worked. I know about ASIMO and I don't know about cars, and I still think Honda makes some pretty unremarkable vehicles.

If Honda built him to get a patent on the idea of "robots", well I admire their boldness and wish them well, but I don't think it's going to work. In 20 years, knockoff ASIMOs will be on the streets of Shanghai. No, I think Honda built this robot to be cute.

ASIMO is 4'3, a height shared only with adorable creatures like chimpanzees and huge dogs. (Big dogs are more adorable than little ones.) They made no effort to make him look like a person, opting instead for "child astronaut". How can you not look at this picture and say aww?


He thinks he's people!

ASIMO facts from Wikipedia: "Honda's official statements indicate that the robot's name is not an homage to science fiction writer and inventor of the Three Laws of Robotics Isaac Asimov." The connection never occurred to me, but it makes sense. ASIMO would by inaction allow a human to come to harm.

Update: I didn't even notice this! ASIMO's fast-food-style coffee tray has "ASIMO" written on it in tiny letters. Just like a little accessory. So cute! ASIMO, you are my best friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home