Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Nose

I like smelling as much as anyone else, but can we cut the hype about noses? Until someone explains what noses are all about, I'm going to have to assume that teleological evolution is a myth.

I know the usual stories. Noses are for smelling, itself an unnecessary sense, if a nice one to have around. You can tell with sight cues whether meat is rotten and anyhow; you can "smell" with your mouth. You could smell even better with your mouth if you didn't have a nose to confuse the evolutionary process. Besides, scent can't be the evolutionary reason for the nose. It's impossible to pull air for smelling through a nose unless it's connected to the lungs first

The other explanations are even lamer. Noses are for warming air before it enters the body? Noses are for trapping dust before it reaches your lungs? Noses are for retaining humidity? It's all there in shameful black and white, my friends. Noses aren't necessary for those functions. Noses can't be necessary for those functions, because we have mouths too. I'm no anatomist, but it seems like a mouth is the antithesis of everything nose-boosters look for in a breathing organ. A direct line to the lungs, to hell with moisture or heat or dust. I breathe through my mouth about 50% of the time (complete guess) and damned if I'm not completely healthy.

It gets even worse. At low temperatures, it's too chilly to breathe through my mouth. When humidity is low, my nose turns to shards. When it's dusty out (rare) , I just hold a handkerchief over my face and breathe that way. I get nose infections, but I've sure never gotten a mouth infection. And
noses can only accommodate a little bit of air, making them useless for exercise. What good is a body part that you can only use in times of peace and relaxation? I am a man of action, and when I get excited, mouths are good enough for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home